Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Jack Mapes' funeral

Last night I went to Jack Mapes' funeral. I had class first, from 5 until 6:40, so I had to hurry, but I made it on time. At least I was on time for mormons--which is to say that I arrived about 8 minutes before the meeting was to start. As I entered the building, I was amazed to see that the chapel was completely full--clear back to the back of the cultural hall--and I felt a little silly walking up to the podium to lead the music with all those people already there. But it was such a beautiful tribute to a great man. You could really see how much he had influenced the people in our ward, the people he worked with, his family, etc. And honestly, it was one of the most amazing funerals I have ever been too. I was guessing that at least half the people there were nonmembers, and there were also many less-active members who came out of love for Marilyn and Jack.. Just like Bishop Mapes to quiet serve and share his testimony even in his death. Marilyn asked me last week if I would put together the music for the funeral--which was an honor and privilege for me. One of his favorite songs was "Lord, I would follow thee" so I arranged for a quartet consisting of Andrea Ringer, myself, Matt Harris, and Trevor. Sister Streeter accompanied. We enjoyed practicing together, and I think we sang well, even though it was difficult to sing without choking up because of the beautiful slide show of his life that preceded the music. Marilyn had also spent hours making posters with pictures of Jack, their family, and appropriate scriptures and poems. You could not leave the meeting without feeling the spirit and knowing there was something special about this family. And I feel privileged to know what the "something special" it. The secret is that both Jack and Marilyn loved each other, loved the Lord, and loved their neighbor. They lived the gospel of Christ in every aspect of their lives. What an example for me, and so many others. I thank my Heavenly Father for allowing me to know them.

No comments: