Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Book of Mormon

I wanted to record before I forget about it that I did finish President Hinckley's challenge to read the Book of Mormon before the 1st of the year. When did I finish? New Year's Eve at about 10:00 p.m. How's that for cutting it close--not that it really mattered that much. The point was to read the book, not really the date of when you finished. I started out in August dutifully reading my one chapter a day. But by mid-October I had missed quite a few days, and then I found myself reading once a week or so. Anyway, by the end of November I was just in the beginnning of Alma. So I decided I would have to really get going and read a whole bunch at a time. And I did quite well with that---actually I thought many things made more sense when reading 20 or so chapters at a time. It gave a nice perspective of how the events were all linked together. I am actually rather proud of myself for finishing the goal in the midst of the roof, the move, Christmas, etc. I was particularly struck at the end at how sad it was to see the nations "dwindle in unbelief." I almost cried when Mormon says, "O ye fair ones..." What a contrast between the joy of the saints and the terrible state of the wicked. That provides such a good perspective in how important it is to make the right choices each day, and to stay close to the Lord through repentance and prayer.

No comments: