Sunday, December 10, 2006

Music

It's really late and I still have a few things I need to do before I can go to bed, but I wanted to write about something special that happened today. In sacrament meeting, I sang a really beautiful arrangement of What Child Is This with four other ladies from our ward. All of us are good singers, but not professional, if you know what I mean. But when we started to sing, I felt like the Holy Ghost surrounded us in this warm, magical glow, and my voice blended with theirs....and that moment was perfect. I was thinking about the words we were singing, about Mary looking down into the eyes of her little baby, and mothers everywhere seeing their babies with those same feelings. I thought about how that baby grew and taught, healed and ministered to the people, and how as the song says, "Nails, spears, shall pierce him through, the cross be borne for me, for you." And then the last verse calls to all men everywhere to come and embrace Jesus Christ in their lives..."Joy, Joy for Christ is born, the babe the Son of Mary." And as we sang, my voice wasn't my own--it was part of this chorus of voices of not only the women in the room with me, but women through the ages who have loved the Savior. It's hard to really put words to the spiritual feelings I had at that moment. I am grateful to Heavenly Father for helping to feel Christmas in this special way. I'm grateful for music and the many sweet moments I have experienced that have helped my testimony to grow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really beautiful. There have been times that I'll be singing a hymn and the words will have special meaning. I love that song. :)

Saw your comment on Wacky Wheelers and just thought I'd see who the music mom was and say hello. I'm LDS too. :0)

Whacky Wheelers said...

Watch out for texasblu -- she's a hoot!!

We are having our Christmas program at church this Sunday and unfortunately -- we won't be there!! The Primary is singing "Angels We Have Heard on High" and Matthew has been practicing "gloooooooooooooooooria" about a million times! He will be bummed!