Tuesday, February 21, 2006

President's Day Cake

Yesterday was President's Day, so the kids were out of school. After a little morning clean-up, we packed up and went to the science museum. It was about a 45 minute drive from our house-not too bad. Max and Sam loved the life-sized models of the Tyrannosaurus Rex and Triceratops, but Ginny held onto my neck like her life depended on it. Poor kid! Our museum pass got us in free to the Discovery room, which had a lot of fun things to play with.
We came home and ate beef stew from the crockpot, which I had actually had presence of mind to start in the morning. Then after dinner Max and Sam helped me to make Nana's recipe for George Washington Cherry cake. The legend about Washington and the cherry tree may or may not be true, but the cake sure is good! Nancy and I remembered last week that she used to make that cake for president's day each year, and we decided to keep up the tradition. The best part is the homemade cherry/almond sauce that goes on top--with whipped cream of course! Yum!
After FHE and the kids were in bed, Trevor and I watched the ice dancing from the Olympics. I love the skating. Can't wait for the women's skating that starts tonight. I've always loved the Olympics.
It's been freezing cold the past few days! What a shock after we had 70 degree temperatures early last week! WE even bought a space heater because our furnace doesn't seem to be keeping up.
Trevor helped me hang up our pictures this weekend, so now I feel more "moved in". It's fun to see our family pictures, etc. again after they had been packed away for so many months.
I guess that's it for now!

1 comment:

Whacky Wheelers said...

Do you know how much I miss you guys!?!?! We've got to get together soon. When do you think you'll be ready for visitors?

p.s. Can I have your President's Day Cake recipe?