Tuesday, September 27, 2005

happy moments






I was talking with a friend about happiness, and how since that is the goal of our existence, why is it that I always feel more stressed out or worried than happy. The scriptures say that man is that we might have joy. They also say that keeping the commandments brings us joy. Now, I think I do a pretty good job of keeping the commandments and living the gospel--not perfect, but I do try pretty hard. So, I got thinking about the first commandment, to love the Lord with all my might, mind, and strength, and I think that I need to work on letting go of all of the busyness and stress of the world, and re-focus on spiritual things, taking care of my relationship with God and family. Also, my friend said that she thought it was important to take a few minutes to recognize our happy moments. So here goes--my top ten, recent happy moments.

1. Sam giving me a huge hug and saying, "I have the best mommy in the whole world!"
2. Talking to Max on the phone, and hearing him tell me all the details about how he had earned his Tae Kwon Do belt (camo). He was so proud and happy--and knew that he had worked hard for a goal and accomplished it.
3. Putting Ginny to bed, and have her snuggle her head on my shoulder as I sang to her.
4. Emily's happy chatter, telling me about her stories and computer game as I wash dishes.
5. Visiting my sisters in Provo--holding Nancy's sweet baby, and hugs and kisses from my nieces and nephew.
6. Coming home from my trip, to the hugs and kisses of my own kids. And, finding the house clean and an apple pie!
7. A nice conversation with Trevor, discussing the books we were both reading--about Joseph Smith and Abraham Lincoln
8. Attending the RS session of conference, and discussing the principles afterward with a friend.
9. Playing the piano--I was practicing a lot to play for a wedding. But it was really fun to spend a lot of time at the piano.
10. Playing games with the kids--lite bright, puzzles, and coloring with Sam and Ginny--reading with Max, uno and upwords with Emily.

No comments: