Friday, May 13, 2005

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th brought us a trip to the emergency room this evening. Just as we were doing scriptures and prayers and getting ready to put the kids to bed, Ginny tripped on a bookcase and fell, getting a pretty good gash under her lip and inside her mouth. There was really a lot of blood. It took me a few minutes to get the bleeding stopped. We weren't sure if the teeth had cut all the way through the lip or not, so we decided we'd better take her to the emergency room. Luckily, we were able to get in and be seen fairly quickly. The swelling and all made it look pretty bad, but when the doctor looked at it he said it was just superficial. So, that was a good thing--and it will heal on it's own. I hate spending $100 to go to the ER, though, especially when it turns out to not be anything serious.
This morning when we were getting ready to go to the park, Sam came to me with a very panicked look on his face and a very scared sound in his voice saying, "Mommy I've got a pick-up!" He was crying so much that I figured something must really be wrong so I was looking all over him to see where he might be injured or where this mysterious "pickup" would be. I couln't find anything, but he continued his panicked cries for help, and then I heard it--"Hiccup". Poor little guy. We drank some water and he held his breath a few times and they finally went away. It really scared him, though.
Then later, at the park, Sam was playing with his friend Carson, and the two of them like to wander, so I have to spend a lot of time chasing them around. So, once I found them nearly at the top of a very large pine tree...yikes...but I was able to help them get down okay. Then later they were playing in the tennis court area, and decided to climb over the fence. Tennis court fences are really, really, tall. So I look over and see him climbing and of course I shout for him to get down immediately, but, of course, he keeps climbing. So I ran over there and got there just as he realizes he is really stuck and scared at the top of this fence. It was really a long way down. Luckily, I was able to get there in time to help him down. We left pretty quickly after that. That boy is a really amazing climber. If only I could channel it in an appropriate direction...
It's been quite a day...

No comments: