Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Gettysburg






Gettysburg was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip! The boys especially loved it. We took several nice little hikes into the woods, and learned about different parts of the battle and the brave soldiers who gave their lives there. There were lots of good opportunities to talk to the kids about appreciating those who gave their lives so we could live in the free country that we do. I guess I did a little bit TOO good of a job of praising the soldier because then all Max could talk about was that he wanted to be a soldier when he grew up to protect our country and our freedom. This, of course, horrified my mother's heart, so I spent quite awhile explaining how terrible war is. Anyway, at least the boys (and Emily, too) have a profound respect for our country's history. I'm sure this was Trevor's favorite part of the trip. He was really cheerful, even though it was super hot, so you know he was thrilled to be there. I loved re-reading the Gettysburg address. Definitely inspired by the Holy Spirit. The words made me cry reading them in that national cemetery. People left pennies all around the monument.

No comments: